Friday, December 2nd, 2011
1. According to Ilian Mihov, a professor of Economics at the INSEAD business school, Italy will have to refinance what percentage of its total debt in 2012.
B. Correct Answer: 20%
2. What major government official told a news conference on Thursday that the United Kingdom is preparing itself for a wide range of European financial crises?
A. Prime Minister David Cameron
B. Correct Answer: Bank of England Governor Mervyn King
C. Foreign Secretary William Hague
D. Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne
3. According to a new report, how many days delinquent is the average housing loan in foreclosure?
A. Correct Answer: 631 days
B. 463 days
C. 328 days
D. 202 days
Thursday, December 1st, 2011
1. What is the “most shorted” stock in the S&P 500 stock index, according to figures compiled this week by CNBC.com?
B. R.R. Donnelley & Sons
C. Vulcan Materials
D. Correct Answer: First Solar
2. Gibson Guitar factories in Tennessee were raided last week by federal officials trying to enforce:
A. Immigration laws
B. Correct Answer: Logging rules
C. Tax court rulings
D. Safe workplace regulations
3. Border guards, teachers and nurses among other state workers walked out on Wednesday in protest against the government’s austerity measures. It was Britain’s first mass strike in how many years?
A. less than 2 years
B. more than 18 years
C. less than 10 years
D. Correct Answer: more than 30 years
Wednesday, November 30th, 2011
1. How many United States cities are included in CNBC.com’s The World’s Best Places to Live 2011?
D. Correct Answer: None
2. UK mortgage approvals rose more than expected in October although the overall picture for lending remained depressed. Mortgage approvals in October were:
A. the highest since Jan 2007
B. the highest since Dec 2010
C. the highest ever
D. Correct Answer: the highest since Dec 2009
3. Since September, how many billion dollars worth of Hong Kong listings have been shelved because of volatile markets, according to the story Hong Kong IPO Rush Is a Sign of Bearishness: Strategist
A. more than $ 2 billion
B. more than $ 3 billion
C. Correct Answer: more than $ 4 billion
D. more than $ 5 billion
Tuesday, November 29th, 2011
1. Research conducted by financial services recruitment firm Astbury Marsden showed City workers were expecting what average bonus this year?
B. Correct Answer: £19,920
2. Morgan Stanley has cut global growth forecasts for 2012 once again, nearly three and a half months after cutting them in august. What is the firm’s new forecast?
B. Correct Answer: 3.5%
3. Which of the following is NOT one of three things to watch in Europe this week, according to PIMCO’s Mohamed El-Erian?
A. Curve inversions
B. Core bond markets
C. Important policy announcements
D. Correct Answer: Stock market performances
Monday, November 28th, 2011
1. In the story “Investors Short HK Property Stocks On China Slowdown” analysts expect property prices in Hong Kong to fall by how much next year?
A. Correct Answer: 10-15%
2. The Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee member Ben Broadbent said there is a risk of recession in the UK in what period?
A. Correct Answer: in the fourth quarter
B. in 2012
C. in the first quarter of next year
D. in the first half of next year
3. According to the CEO of DBS Bank, Piyush Gupta, how large are the bank’s savings deposits in Singapore dollar terms?
A. S$75 billion
B. Correct Answer: S$80 billion
C. S$90 billion
D. S$85 billion
Friday, November 25th, 2011
1. The Bank of England published the minutes to its last meeting on Wednesday. How many members of the Monetary Policy Committee backed maintaining their target level of quantitative easing asset purchases at 275 billion pounds after October’s unexpected 75 billion pound increase?
A. Correct Answer: All nine
2. According to CNBC’s “Best Books for the Holidays 2011,” Walter Isaacson has put together the ultimate biography of what technology and design genius?
A. Steve Wozniak
B. Bill Gates
C. Correct Answer: Steve Jobs
D. Paul Allen
3. Which of the following is NOT included in CNBC.com’s “10 Holiday Shopping Apps That Will Save You Money?”
D. Correct Answer: Shopper